No matter what type of surgery you are having you probably have a myriad of questions about the procedure and what you can do to prepare for the operation itself. It’s imperative that you keep risks of surgery to a minimum and by asking plenty of questions of your surgical team in Surrey, you can prepare for and help to prevent many of the complications that arise from not taking good care of yourself before the surgery is scheduled.
Let’s review some ways to prepare for your surgery so that it will be a success and you’ll soon be on your way to renewed health.
- Whether you’re having hernia surgery in Surrey, an endoscopy, or a laparoscopic procedure, you will need to avoid any type of infection. This goal can be reached by taking antibiotics just before your surgery and for about twenty-fours after your surgical procedure takes place. If any body hair needs to be removed, clippers will be used to remove it and special care of the area will be administered by your surgical prep team.
- Ask your Surrey medical team about your risk for blood clots and what you can do to avoid them whilst under anaesthesia. Blood clots can complicate the most minor procedure so make sure that you and your surgical team discuss all of the details about your risk for clots.
- For gallstone surgery in Surrey, you’ll want to discuss all of your medical conditions with your doctor that could impact the procedure. This would include any allergies that you may have, or diabetes, which can affect the surgery and follow-up treatment.
- If you are a smoker be sure to ask your doctor when you should cease smoking before your surgery and when you can resume after your surgery. It’s also a good idea to discuss how smoking can cause infections that will extend your recovery time.
- If you have questions or concerns about any surgical procedure that you are having, ask to meet with your doctor and his team before the scheduled surgery so that you can have all of your queries answered properly. This will give you peace of mind and perhaps ease the stress that you may be experiencing as the surgery date approaches.
- Make sure that the surgical team that’s doing your procedure in Surrey knows the other types of medication that you are taking so that they can anticipate any interactions with other medications that may be administered during the surgery. This is one of the benefits of using an experienced surgical team; they will know and understand all aspects of your surgery, how to advise you to prepare, and how to follow-up with you once the surgery is over.
- Follow all of the instructions that are given to you so that your recovery will be short and successful. Be sure to get ample sleep, eat a healthy diet, and learn as much as you can about what will be happening to your body before, during, and after your surgical procedure.