There is no doubt that cycling has become a popular sport in recent years for both amateurs and professionals. The most rapid growth related to cycling has been in the area of casual and amateur cycling, with many people enjoying it for the sake of fun and fitness. This expansion has seen a host of retail shops open to service the many people who are eager to buy cycling jerseys, water bottles, helmets, and other associated gear.
The Health Benefits of Cycling
It may have its fair share of detractors, like any sport, but cycling offers a great many health benefits, including:
- Core strength: Having strong and fit core muscles is very important to our everyday life. Our back and abdominal muscles allow us to walk, run, cycle, move, and lift. Pilates targets them as some of the most important and vital muscles in the body, and strong core muscles will make a huge difference in the level of your strength and flexibility.
- Aerobic fitness: Riding a bike is pretty tough work, especially if you are unfit and have not ridden in a long time! Like any exercise, the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Doing an intense aerobic exercise also means that you will develop your fitness and endurance quickly.
- De-stress: here is plenty of evidence to support the fact that exercise is not only good for your body, but also good for your brain. Exercising alleviates stress, anxiety and depression. It also improves one’s outlook on life, makes one feel more positive, and even increases one’s motivation to do things.
What Should You Buy?
If you have just taken up cycling, it’s a good bet that you’re probably feeling a little daunted by the many accessories and clothes that are available for purchase. The good news is that you don’t have to invest a lot of money to get yourself started. Here are the basics that you should definitely look into, however:
- Helmet: Wearing a helmet is not only a safety issue, but it is also legally required. If you don’t spend too much on anything else, make sure you spend enough on a helmet so you get one that meets all safety standards.
- Water bottle: Riding can really take it out of you, and it’s a good idea to stay hydrated on your journey. Buy a sturdy plastic water bottle always bring it along for every ride.
- Backpack: It’s also a good idea to buy a reasonable backpack so you can carry around the essentials. Many riders carry their mobile phones with them, both for the included maps, and also in case of an emergency. You can always carry extra fluids and snacks in it too. Some enterprising casual cyclists even carry a small camera!
- Cycling jersey: While not absolutely essential if you are a beginner, the good thing about proper jerseys is that they are manufactured to make every ride more comfortable. The material helps to wick sweat away from the surface of the skin, thus keeping you cool and comfortable.
There’s little doubt that cycling has made a huge impact on many people. Whether young or old, the health benefits are enormous, and riders will be rewarded with more fitness, better core strength, and less stress!